November 28, 2009

Control Box

Despite the short Thanksgiving break, I've found time to work on the CNC. I've built a box to hold the driver board and power supply as well as four fans for cooling. My power supply is 24 volts so I wasnt able to use normal 12 volt computer fans for cooling. Luckily there's Ebay. I found a lot of 24 - 24 volt fans for $35 shipped. That comes out to ~$1.50 per fan which is incredibly cheap. Not sure what I'll do with the extra 20 fans that I now have but they work on 12 volts so Im sure they'll eventually get used for projects. Yesterday I cut holes for the fans, power cord, and computer cable and mounted the fans and power supply. I'm still not sure on what connectors I want to use for the stepper motor wires. Here are some pictures of the progress. The top of the box slides open. I used the router with a round bevel bit to shape the fan openings after cutting the circles out with the jigsaw. The four fans push and pull a lot of air through the box so there should be more than enough airflow to cool the driver board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog